At PostNL, we think it's important to take our social responsibility seriously. We also want to be transparent about how sustainable we are for customers, suppliers, employees and others. That is why we have aligned with lots of initiatives and standards that provide clarity about our achievements.
Integrated annual report
Each year, we produce an integrated annual report detailing our MVO achievements. In doing so, we follow the international reporting guidelines of the GRI (Global Reporting Initiative). Our annual report has obtained a 'reasonable assurance' statement from an external accountant, giving it a high rating.
Standards and benchmarks
PostNL is part of various standards and benchmarks:
- PostNL endorses the ten principles of the UN Global Compact relating to human rights, work and the environment, for example. Each year, we report to the UN on our progress regarding these principles.
- The Dow Jones Sustainability Index is a global benchmark in which businesses are assessed on economic, social and environmental aspects. PostNL always retains its position among the top in our sector (Transportation and Transportation Infrastructure).
- PostNL is a member of the International Post Corporation and takes part in this organisation's annual benchmark. Over the past few years, PostNL has consistently achieved a listing among the top 4 of this benchmark.
- Our annual report is assessed in the annual Transparency Benchmark organised by the Ministry of Economic Affairs. This involves expressly looking at a number of MVO topics. PostNL holds a stable position among the front runners of this benchmark.
- PostNL reports to the Carbon Disclosure Project about our CO2 achievements on an annual basis. The report explains our initiatives and achievements when it comes to limiting the impact on the environment. PostNL has a consistently high score in this benchmark.
- For our buildings, we have developed sustainability certification for existing business premises, in collaboration with the Dutch Green Building Council. The aim is to use our buildings even more sustainably through this certification.
- We aim to make our new buildings as sustainable as possible. We are building a parcel sorting centre in Nieuwegein that meets very strict sustainability requirements. In order to make the premises as sustainable as possible, one of the measures we are taking is to place over 1,070 solar panels on the roof. We use environmentally friendly wood (FSC) and fit the roof and outer walls with extra insulation so that we lose as little energy as possible. We will place nest boxes outside for local birds and insects. We aim for as little residual waste during construction as possible, as well as limited nuisance and as much waste separation on the building site as possible. We have achieved the second highest BREAAMNL certification, Excellent, for the design. This makes it one of the most sustainable logistics buildings in the Netherlands.
- We actively participate in MVO research carried out by the Dutch Association of Investors for Sustainable Development (VBDO), among others. VBDO defends the interests of institutional and private investors who want to contribute to sustainable development. Their research relates to subjects such as responsible tax policy.
- On the FIRA platform for sustainable purchases, PostNL is the first Dutch logistics business reporting at the highest level: Gold. FIRA's recognition shows other companies that PostNL has the MVO policy and reporting in order.
- EcoVadis, an international organisation that assesses companies on their MVO achievements, has assessed PostNL on environmental policy, employment conditions, fair business practices and sustainable purchasing. They rate our achievements in this field as belonging to the top 5% of companies worldwide. We received Gold recognition in 2016 and 2017.
- Lean and Green, an incentive programme for companies and governmental authorities to improve their sustainability performance, has awarded PostNL Parcels a Lean and Green Star for our environmental achievements. This makes PostNL one of the front runners in the Netherlands.
We hold four leading international certifications:
- ISO 9001: quality of business processes
- ISO 14001: environmental aspects of business management
- OHSAS 18001: health and safety
- ISO 27001: information security