As PostNL we think it is important to be socially responsible. We also want to provide insight into our sustainability for customers, suppliers, co-workers and others. That is why we have signed up for a variety of initiatives and standards that provide clarity about our performance.
Integrated annual report
We report about our CSR performance annually in an integrated annual report. We thereby follow the international reporting guidelines of the GRI (Global Reporting Initiative). The external auditor has given our annual report a high rating with a ‘reasonable assurance’ statement.
Standards and benchmarks
PostNL is engaged with various standards and benchmarks:
- The Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) has approved the emissions targets of PostNL early 2019. PostNL commits to reduce absolute scope 1, 2 and 3 GHG emissions 18% by 2030 from a 2017 base year. PostNL also commits to continue active sourcing of 100% renewable electricity towards 2030 from a 2017 base year. The Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) is a collaboration between CDP, the United Nations Global Compact, World Resources Institute (WRI) and the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF). Targets adopted by companies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions are considered “science-based” if they are in line with the level of decarbonization required to keep global temperature increase below 2 degrees Celsius compared to pre-industrial temperatures.
- PostNL endorses the 10 principles of the UN Global Compact which relate to aspects including human rights, labour and the environment. We report annually to the UN on our progress with regard to these principles.
- The Dow Jones Sustainability Index is a worldwide benchmark which rates companies on economic, social and environmental aspects. PostNL is always amongst the top companies in its sector (Transportation and Transportation Infrastructure).
- As a member of the International Post Corporation, PostNL participates in this organisation’s annual benchmark. PostNL has consistently been in the top 4 for this benchmark in the last couple of years.
- Our annual report is assessed for the annual Transparency Benchmark which is organised by the Netherlands Ministry of Economic Affairs. This involves the targeted scrutiny of a number of CSR themes. PostNL maintains a consistent position amongst the leading companies for this benchmark.
- PostNL reports annually to the Carbon Disclosure Project about its CO2 performance. This sets out our initiatives and performances in reducing the impact on the environment. PostNL has a consistently high score for this benchmark.
- In collaboration with The Dutch Green Building Council we have developed a sustainability certification for existing business premises. The aim is to utilise this certification to make the use of our buildings even more sustainable.
- We are striving to ensure that our new buildings are as sustainable as possible. We are building parcel sorting centres that meets very stringent sustainability requirements. Our efforts to make the building as sustainable as possible include the installation of solar panels on the roof. We are using environmentally-friendly wood (FSC) and are fitting extra insulation in the roof and exterior walls so that we lose as little energy as possible. There will be nesting boxes for local birds and insects outside. During construction we are working to ensure as little residual waste as possible, to limit disruption and to sort waste on site as much as possible. Our DC in Nieuwegein has been awarded for the highest certificate - Outstanding - from BREAAMNL. That makes it one of the most sustainable logistics buildings in the Netherlands.
- We are actively cooperating with CSR studies by the Dutch Association of Investors for Sustainable Development (Vereniging van Beleggers voor Duurzame Ontwikkeling - VBDO), amongst others. VBDO represents the interests of institutional and private investors who wish to contribute to sustainable development. Their studies relate issues including to responsible taxation policy.
- PostNL is the first Dutch logistics company on the sustainable procurement platform FIRA to report at the highest level: Gold. FIRA’s certification shows other companies that PostNL’s CSR policy and reporting are in order.
- EcoVadis, an international organisation that rates companies on their CSR performance, has assessed PostNL on its environmental policy, employment practices, ethics and sustainable procurement. It rates our performance in this area as being amongst the top 5% of companies worldwide. We have been given the Gold certification for this 2017.
- Lean and Green, a programme to encourage the public and private sector to achieve higher levels of sustainability performance, has awarded PostNL Parcels in 2018 a second Lean and Green Star on the basis of our environmental performance. PostNL is thereby one of the Netherlands’ outstanding companies.
We hold four leading international certifications:
- ISO 9001: quality of the operational processes.
- ISO 14001: environmental aspects of the business.
- OHSAS 18001: health and safety.
- ISO 27001: information security.