- Q1 2009 results impacted by continued declines in volumes
- Positive operating income in current economic circumstances, at € 163 million
- Good free cash flow at € 114 million
- Continued recessionary pressure on volumes, though decline seems stable since February
- Revenue decline of 15.5%, of which 5.1% due to lower fuel surcharge and foreign exchange
- Cost savings ahead of plan: in excess of € 100 million (more than 7% of cost base) achieved in Q1 2009
- Operating income strongly impacted by severe volume declines in weeks 1 and 2 offset by positive Easter impact in weeks 12 and 13
- Operating income of € 20 million on revenues of € 1,364 million
- Overall revenues at constant rates of exchange in line with last year
- Addressed mail volumes in the Netherlands 4.7% below Q1 2008
- Emerging Mail & Parcels good revenue growth and operating income
- Negative product mix development, price pressure and higher operating expenses in Mail Netherlands
- Operating income € 149 million, 23.2% below Q1 2008
CEO Peter Bakker comments:
PostNL is the inventive partner in the world of sending and receiving. We have been so for 200 years already. We are primarily active in the fields of mail, parcels and e-commerce, but we also offer services in the areas of data and document management, direct marketing and fulfilment. Outside the Netherlands, we are active in Germany, the United Kingdom, Italy, Belgium and Luxemburg. PostNL employs a total of more than 59,000 people. In 2013 our revenues reached € 4.3 billion.
We like to stay ahead of things. We are the most modern postal company in the world. We are proud of that. As the first listed postal company, we are an example to the rest of the world in automatic letter sorting. And our innovative parcels network is completely adapted to the wishes of web retailers.