The sheet with ten stamps is issued in the context of the reopening of the Stedelijk Museum. It shows an architect’s drawing of the renovation combined with details of ten graphic icons. These icons have a strong relationship with the Stedelijk Museum, for instance the Zigzag Chair Prototype Version 1 (Gerrit Rietveld, 1932) and the Mural (Karel Appel, 1956).
objectivity versus subjectivity The stamp sheet was designed by the bureau Experimental JetSet: “We drew our inspiration mainly from the architectonic collages from the 1960s by architects and collectives like Archigram, Antfarm and The Independent Group. In utopian construction drawings, they drew future buildings as a kind of pop-art collage. An interesting aspect is the way in which objective information – the construction drawing, that is – is contrasted with more subjective, associative images. There is a captivating tension in such collages, and in our design we have tried to capture this tension. In our view, this field of forces between utopian desire and pragmatic reality is typical of the Stedelijk Museum – and of modern art in general.”
The stamps will be available as from 24 September at the Bruna shops, at Collect Club in Groningen and online via www.collectclub.nl
. The stamps have an indefinite term of validity. In addition to the sheet with ten different stamps, with value indicator 1, two stamp booklets and two first-day envelopes will be available.*
The Stedelijk Museum
The Stedelijk Museum in Amsterdam, which was founded in 1874, is an international institute dedicated to modern and contemporary art and design. The museum aims at being a home for art, artists and a wide target group of visitors. The collection of modern and contemporary art and design is well-liked and consists of 90,000 objects dating from the seventies of the nineteenth century until the present and includes paintings, sculptures, film and video, installations, works on paper, art books, photography, graphic design, applied art and industrial design.
The historic building from 1895 was completely renovated in order to offer ample space for the presentation of the first extensive permanent collection of modern and contemporary art and design. Temporary exhibitions and events will be housed in the striking new section by Benthem Crouwel Architecten.