Full press release [258 kB]
Financial highlights Q1 2014
- Revenue flat at €1,033 million (Q1 2013: €1,036 million)
- Underlying operating income increased to €103 million (Q1 2013: €81 million)
- Underlying cash operating income increased to €77 million (Q1 2013: €23 million)
- Net cash from operating and investing activities of €23 million (Q1 2013: €(99) million)
Operational highlights Q1 2014
- Addressed mail volume Mail in the Netherlands declined by 11.5%
- High delivery quality at 97.0% (Q1 2013: 96.1%)
- Positive contribution volume/price/mix effect due to price increases
- Strong cost savings of €41 million supported by smooth implementation of the five days delivery model and a leaner overhead structure in Mail in the Netherlands
- Parcels volume grew by 5.3%
Herna Verhagen, CEO of PostNL: "We had a good start of the year with our underlying cash operating income increasing by €54 million to €77 million. The reorganisation delivered strong cost savings that came in early, thanks to the excellent execution of the transition from a six to five days delivery model and the implementation of a leaner overhead structure in Mail in the Netherlands. The cost savings, together with the price increases more than compensated for the volume decline in Mail in the Netherlands. Phasing effects over the remainder of the year will make it more difficult to replicate the strong performance of the first quarter. The result of International was positive, but below last year’s performance. Parcels performed in line with expectations. Overall, we made good progress towards our sustainable delivery 2015 targets."
* Outlook 2014 is excluding the result from the activities in the United Kingdom
We are PostNL. The postal and logistic solutions provider. For our customers, we are the link between the physical and the online world. We facilitate communications between people and companies. We deliver parcels seven days a week and letters five days a week. On an average day, we deliver 575,000 parcels and 9 million letters throughout the Benelux. We offer more and more new services through combinations of smart networks, digital applications and the right communications channels. In doing so, we aim to make the daily lives of our customers easier.
As the first listed postal company, we have the largest and most modern network for letters, parcels and e-commerce in the Benelux countries. In addition, we also operate in Germany, Italy and eight other countries across the world. PostNL employs a total of 46,000 people. With our loyal workforce, extensive networks and innovative drive, our ambition is to be the leading postal and logistics solutions provider in chosen markets. In 2016 our revenues reached €3,4 billion.