Confidence in achieving UCOI outlook 2018
Financial highlights Q3 2018
(note: Nexive and Postcon are classified as discontinued operations, resulting in adjusted segment reporting. All financials are based on continuing operations except where noted.)
- Revenue at €638 million (Q3 2017: €630 million)
- Revenue contribution from e-commerce related activities YTD increased to 49% (YTD 2017: 44%)
- Underlying cash operating income at €23 million (Q3 2017: €35 million)
- Profit from continuing operations at €19 million (Q3 2017: €25 million)
- Net cash from operating and investing activities at €(42) million (Q3 2017: €(9) million)
Operational highlights Q3 2018
- Parcels volumes increased by 20% driven by strong growth e-commerce
- Addressed mail volume declined by 11.9% (YTD: 10.8%)
- Delivery quality at 95%
- Run-rate cost savings improved to €16 million (YTD: €34 million)
Positive adjustment expected impact Significant Market Power (SMP)
- Expected financial impact related to ACM measures adjusted to €40 million to €45 million (previously: €50 million - €70 million), fully visible in 2020
- Going forward, all other things being equal, positive impact on profitability in Mail in the Netherlands
- Based on the September judgement by the Tribunal and the current situation
Divestment process Nexive and Postcon
- On track, signing expected in first half year 2019
Outlook UCOI FY 2018 confirmed
- Full year 2018 underlying cash operating income of between €160 million and €190 million
- Aim for progressive dividend
Herna Verhagen, CEO of PostNL: “We are satisfied to report Q3 results in line with our expectations. We continue to make good progress with our transformation to be the postal & logistic solutions provider in the Benelux. 49% of our revenue is now related to e-commerce, supported by the decision in August to divest Nexive and Postcon.
In Parcels, volume growth was again strong and revenue, including Spring, showed double-digit growth, underpinning our solid position in the Benelux e-commerce logistics market. Three new sorting centres started operations, in time for peak season. Volume decline in Mail in the Netherlands was 11.9%, and is mainly driven by substitution. First improvement in the run-rate of cost savings is now visible. We are preparing for our peak period and are confident that we will deliver on our full year underlying cash operating income outlook for 2018.
As stated before, we consider consolidation of networks the best solution to safeguard the accessibility and reliability of the postal delivery for everyone in the Netherlands for the years to come. The broad parliamentary support for the conclusions of the state secretary of Economic Affairs after the postal dialogue is crucial. The road towards consolidation is not straightforward due to anti-trust regulation and the involvement of several stakeholders. Preparations are in progress and require time.”
We are PostNL, the mail and logistics solutions provider for all. With our mail and parcel deliverers who get everywhere, our over 4,800 PostNL locations and 11,000 postboxes, we are always nearby. We aim to be our customers’ favourite deliverer by making it as easy as possible for them to send and receive parcels and letters. Our over 37,000 people are right at the heart of society. On weekdays, we deliver an average 1.2 million parcels and 8 million letters across the Benelux region. Our focus is on quality for our customers, creating opportunities for our people and adding value for our stakeholders through growth, digitalisation and sustainability initiatives.
We optimise and support our physical networks by using smart digital solutions and launching new propositions that create value for our customers. We build long-lasting working relationships by acting as a good employer and client for everyone who works for and with us. To make our deliveries as sustainable as possible, we cover a lot of kilometres on foot or by bicycle or e-bike, provide innovative city logistics, use cleaner fuels, and use electric vans and light electric trucks. PostNL NV is a listed company with revenues of €3.5 billion in 2021. We provide deliveries of mail and parcels, logistics solutions for e-commerce, and cross-border solutions.