Do I have to pay any fees?
Whether you will be charged VAT, customs and clearance fees depends on the type and value of your shipment. You will be charged for:
- commercial goods with a value exceeding € 22
- gifts with a value exceeding € 45
What are the costs?
For the delivery of packages and parcels from outside the EU, you might face customs, VAT or other clearance fees. If so, PostNL will arrange the customs clearance for you. Any fees that may apply must be paidupon delivery or pick up of your shipment at the specified PostNL location.
For Express Mail Service (EMS) shipments a standard clearance fee of € 17.50 applies. For other delivery services the standard clearance fee is € 13.
Country of origin
Value of the shipment*
Customs Clearance Fees
- Up to € 22
- € 22 to € 150
- Over € 150
Non-EU country / gift from one individual to another individual
Up to € 45
*Excluding insurance and delivery fees.
How does it work?
Customs clearance fees for shipments from outside the EU may include:
- Costs for customs declaration
- Customs, VAT and other clearance fees
- Costs which might derive from contacting the sender to gain information about the content and value of the shipment
- Costs which derive from determining the product and its value
- Storage fees
- Collection costs
- Administrative fees
Customs clearance fees can be paid in cash upon delivery. If you are unable to pay at the time of delivery we will schedule a new delivery appointment. If you are not at home the shipment will be moved to the nearest PostNL location. You can pick up your shipment and also pay any customs clearance fees there.