What are customs clearance fees?
All goods entering the country must be declared to customs. Depending on the origin and value of the goods, you may be required to pay tax and other import duties. In practice, any fees due are collected by PostNL on behalf of customs authorities. These costs may be paid at the time of picking up your shipment at a retail point. Alternatively, you may receive a payment request by e-mail, which includes a link that lets you complete payment via iDeal.
Customs clearance fees
When you receive a parcel from outside the European Union, you are required to pay VAT and import duties. If you have to pay customs clearance fees, you will receive a separate message about this by e-mail SMS or post. You can also see this earlier in track & trace if you already have the barcode of your parcel. Read the table below to find out which fees apply to you.
|Country of origin||Type of shipment||Value of the shipment*||VAT||Handling costs||Import duties|
|Non-EU country||Purchase||Up to €150||Yes*||Yes||No|
|Gift||Up to €45||No||No||No|
|Over €45||Yes*||Yes||No, unless value > €150|
*In case you have to pay VAT and/or import duties, the amount will be calculated based on the value of your purchase including shipping and insurance costs.
Paying upon collection
Deliveries requiring payment can be collected at your local retail point. We will inform you as soon as your parcel is available for collection. If you do not wish to pay import fees, you can choose not to collect your parcel, in which case it will be returned to sender.
Please note: if you choose to collect your parcel, then you are required to pay the customs clearance fees.
Did you receive a notification about an upcoming delivery? If so, you can click on the link to complete payment online. Here’s how it works:
- You will receive a payment request via e-mail.
- Click on the link in the e-mail.
- Enter your postal code to visit the tracking page, where you will find more details about the amount payable.
- Click the button to pay your customs clearance fees.
- Select a payment method (iDeal or creditcard).
- Once your payment has been processed successfully, you will receive a notification that your parcel has been cleared for delivery.
- The parcel will be delivered to your home address.
PostNL charges handling costs (including debit and administration fees) for:
- advancing the payable VAT and/or import taxes (to customs);
- opening and investigating your shipment(s);
- establishing the contents and value of your goods; storing and keeping your shipments.
Read the table below to find out your handling costs.
|Value of the shipment||VAT||Handling costs per parcel||Import duties|
|Pay online||Pay at PostNL-point|
|Up to €150||Yes||€6||€11||No|
Sometimes, essential information about the shipment is missing, which means we are unable to clear the shipment for delivery. If this happens, we will send you a request to supply the missing information (‘Bericht van Aankomst’) so delivery may be completed.